Friday, July 13, 2012

First Big Project

Several months ago I discovered Pinterest.  My life will forever be changed!  I get so inspired by all of the beautiful furniture and interiors that are posted.  This discovery also opened me up to the world of blogging.  I have to admit, I've never really been a blog reader but the past few months I've been following Kate at centsationalgirl.com and Shaunna at perfectlyimperfectblog.com in particular.  They both create beautiful pieces and inspired me to try my hand at painting furniture.  

So I set out to the local thrift stores!  I've been needing a new dresser for my bedroom and came across this piece at the ReStore in town.  I loved the size and the fact that it still had all of the original hardware.  It isn't solid wood, but for my first project I was ok with that fact. It was originally $80 but was on sale for 25% off so I decided to take it!  You can see that it was pretty scratched up and the handles were varnished brass when I brought it home. 

  I followed these steps with a few modifications.  I am absolutely obsessed with the colors teal and aqua and any variation of the two. I had a hard time deciding on the exact color, but I am happy with the way it turned out!  After 2 coats of the blue paint, I applied a glaze made from black paint and a product called Floetrol to give the piece an aged look.  I also spray painted the original handles a nickel color and glazed over them as well.  Here's the finished piece...




No comments:

Post a Comment