Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cane Chair Makeover - Part 1


About a month ago, I spotted this chair at the ReStore in town.  



I can honestly say it was love at first sight.  I immediately started transforming it into something more contemporary and beautiful in my mind.  After several minutes contemplating the possibilities, I came to my senses and realized I had NO idea how to reupholster a chair this complicated.  I left that day empty handed and with a sad heart.

A few weeks later, while browsing Pinterest, I came across some very similar chairs that people had redone.  Some of the blogs had step by step instructions on how to reupholster a chair this style.  I initially thought I would be in over my head because this chair has a separate seat cushion that is fully upholstered and the cording around the edges, which I had no idea how to do.  However, I decided to go back to the ReStore, just to see if the chair was still there and take another look.  And guess what!?  The chair WAS still there and was marked down another 25%!  I couldn't resist.  That chair was coming home with me, even if I did have to tie it to my trunk to keep it from falling out on the way. 


My other score this week was a box of power tools I found at a garage sale for 30 bucks!  I almost bought a power screwdriver the day before at Home Depot to take the seat off this chair, so I'm glad I waited!  I will most definitely be getting good use out of these in the future and feeling very self sufficient in the process.

 

So, with my drill in hand I started the process of turning this beast into a beauty a few days ago and am loving it so far.  While I anxiously wait for my fabric to arrive, I have been busy looking at all of the transformations I can find online.  Here are some of my faves!  Be sure to visit their blogs to see the before pictures.  Their makeovers are pretty impressive!

Source
Source
Source
Source
Source

I am so excited to see how my chair turns out and to show you all!  So stay tuned for the finished product! 
                                                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment