Friday, September 7, 2012

Every Home Needs a Gallery Wall

 In all of the shelter magazines (and pinterest posts, of course) we have been seeing gallery walls of photos, prints, diy projects, trinkets or whatever it is people want to display on their wall.  It is one of the hottest trends in design right now!  I am thinking of creating a gallery wall in my bedroom on a big blank wall or along my very long wall above my sofa in my living room (where I currently have this piece which I would move to the bedroom).  So, I have been searching for ideas on the internet and in my favorite magazines, House Beautiful and HGTV.  I thought I would share some of my favorites here.  

Over this past weekend, I was in Central Oregon visiting with family and a friend asked me, "do all of your pictures frames need to match?"  My answer was a very strong "no!" and that "I like it when they don't!" Here are a few examples of them not matching and working perfectly!

Source
I LOVE the whimsical theme in this one.  I'm going to have to learn how to make those butterflies!

Source


Source
In this one, she used the symmetrical wall on the left to balance the asymmetrical gallery.  I love that there are a few of each frame style and matting and the others are different.  This one is perfect from the wall color to the long narrow console table and the items below, it all balances each other.

Source

If the mismatched frames bother you that much, try using frames that are the same color but different sizes and shapes, or using a combination of black and white frames.  You will get a much more cohesive look that way.  I might be making a trip to Ikea soon! 

Source

Source











Source
There are also endless arrangements you can do with your gallery wall. These next two are each hung along vertical or horizontal lines.  If random layouts bothers you, try creating a place for your eye to rest along a straight line.

Source


Source
Does anyone have a gallery wall in their home?  My mom has had her hallway lined with photos for years.  I've always wondered about her random arrangement of photos and mismatched frames.  Maybe she knew that look would eventually come back around ;)  I can't wait to get started on my own gallery, I'll keep you posted on the developments!

No comments:

Post a Comment