Sunday, January 13, 2013

DIY Starburst Mirror


After being sick off and on for the past 4 weeks, I am finally feeling healthy again.  I haven't been up to doing any projects lately because of the lack of energy and constant coughing that I've been dealing with.  Now that I'm back to normal, I decided to tackle a project that I've been wanting to do for some time.  A starburst mirror.  

If you'd like to make your own, you'll need...
1. A round mirror of your choosing.  I bought this 14" diameter one at Michaels with a 40% off coupon for less than $5. 
2. Wood shims.  I used two packs of longer ones and one pack of short ones both found at Home Depot for a total of $11.
3. A hot glue gun and glue sticks.
4. Mounting hardware. 
5. Spray paint (optional).


First, you will want to lay out the shorter shims in a circle to get an idea of how far apart to space them.   Place your mirror upside down and start gluing the shims down.  Make sure to angle them so that they are stemming from the center (like rays) and not leaning towards one side.  I had to pull a few off and re-glue because it started to look like a pinwheel rather than a starburst. Oops!


Next, break the long pieces into slightly shorter ones.  I found the easiest way was to step on one end and snap the other end off.  The only reason I did this step was because I found that the long pieces were just slightly too long for the look I was going for.  

Start gluing the longer pieces just as you did the shorter ones.  These ones are a bit more tricky because of the amount of layering that you have to do.  Make sure all of your shims are hanging off the edge of the mirror about the same length.  Mine ranged from 9-10 inches past the edge.  


Finally, attach your hardware on the back, hang on your wall, and stand back and admire your work!  Or, do like I did and take it down a few times to repair random pieces that stick out like a sore thumb until you are satisfied. ;) 




For now I am leaving mine the natural wood, but I will most likely spray paint it a metallic color.  I am thinking gold, but am open to suggestions.  




PS...check out my new drapes!  I was feeling like I needed another dimension to my coral and navy palette and I think this chartreuse green is perfect!  It makes me happy and that is what color in our home is supposed to do! 




No comments:

Post a Comment